Broccoli Cheddar Soup
If you’re looking for a decadent and comforting soup with real cheese and broccoli you can actually taste, this is the recipe for you! Using sharp aged cheddar lets you reduce the amount of cheese without sacrificing great taste, and with evaporated skim milk instead of cream, you can enjoy this family favourite guilt-free!
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp. flour
2 lbs. broccoli, stems and florets separated and chopped into pieces
6 cups chicken stock (plus 2 more cups for family serving)
1 cup evaporated skim milk
2 cups grated, extra sharp cheddar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, until soft; add the garlic and cook for another minute, then add the flour and stir to coat everything well.
- Add the broccoli and chicken stock and bring to a simmer; cook for about 20 minutes, or until broccoli is very tender.
- For BABY 6+ months: Remove ¼ cup of broccoli from the saucepan and purée in mini processor with 1 tbsp. water until smooth. Cool and serve.
- For BABY 8+ months: Using a handheld immersion blender, purée the soup right in the pot (or transfer some of it to the blender or food processor to process until smooth), leaving some larger chunks if you like. Add the cheese and milk and heat through, stirring just until the cheese melts. Remove ½ cup, cool and serve.
- For rest of the FAMILY: Add additional 2 cups chicken stock, heating through. Season with salt and pepper, and then serve.