Who said purees are just for babies?
No more sneaking bites of baby’s food! Here is a fantastic puree that the whole family can enjoy! With the perfect amount of spice and packed with nutrition this grown up puree makes a great side for grilled tenderloin or roast chicken.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 Adults, 2 kids (with leftovers)
- ½ lbs carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ lbs parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 slices (1/4 inch thick) peeled fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp rice
- 1Tbsp butter
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots, parsnips, ginger, brown sugar, rice and ¼ tsp salt. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain. In a food processor puree the vegetables with ¼ cup cooking liquid.
- For baby 6 months+: remove ¼ cup of the puree, stir in more cooking liquid for thinner consistency.
- For the rest of the family:After step 2, add the butter and 1 tsp salt and puree. Add more cooking liquid for a thinner puree
Posted on February 22, 2012 | Filed under: Recipe
He just will not eat jarred organic baby food—he spits it out and makes a face.
Yvette and baby Kael