This nutritious spin on a cozy classic will warm tummies and get the whole family off to a great start!
By adding bananas, walnuts and a hint of Christmas spice, ordinary oatmeal becomes a well-rounded (and delicious!) kickoff to any winter day.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- Banana slices, maple syrup for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and spices to a gently boil; stir in oats. Return to boil, reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Stir in mashed bananas
- For baby 6-8 months: Remove ¼ cup portion and puree in mini processor with 1 Tbsp of additional milk or liquid of choice, until smooth consistency is reached.
- For baby 8 months+: Remove ¼ cup oatmeal, cool and serve.
- For the rest of the family: Stir in walnut pieces and top serving with banana slices and 1 Tbsp maple syrup, serve.
Posted on November 28, 2011 | Filed under: Recipe
It's convenient, it's tasty and it's really good for your baby. Why wouldn't you choose that?
Patsy, Jeff and baby Tenzin