An absolutely delicious pasta dish that can be ready in 15 minutes and blends the nutty flavor of squash with fresh sage.
Ready in 15 minutes
Prep time: 5 mins Total time: 15mins
8 ounces (226 g) gemelli pasta (we like to use whole wheat pasta)
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 sage leaves
2 shallots, thinly sliced (side note about ½ red onion sub)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups diced)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
¼ cup goat cheese
1. Cook pasta as directed on package.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry sage, turning once, until crisp on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel.
3. Add shallot and garlic to skillet. Cook over medium, stirring frequently, until soft and golden, about 3 minutes.
4. Add squash and 1 cup water, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until squash softens, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot
Take out ½ cup of squash mixture and puree in mini processor with 2 tbsp of water or milk.
Take out ½ cup squash mixture and pulse in the mini chopper with 2 heaping TBSP pasta, 3 TBSP water or milk, pinch of fried sage and pinch of parmesan. Pulse until desired lumpy texture is achieved.
Add squash mixture; stir over low heat, adding some reserved cooking water if necessary, until pasta is coated, about 1 minute. Serve, garnished with parmesan cheese, goat cheese, sage and salt & pepper to taste.
Note: For added kick of super vitamins toss a handful of spinach in 2 minutes before the butternut squash is steamed!
Posted on October 12, 2011 | Filed under: Recipe
Most baby foods taste really gross. Baby Gourmet tastes delicious.
Enya and baby London