This is one of my all-time favorite soups! There is something so creamy and delicious about smooth butternut squash combined with sweet apples and coconut. The fact that it’s healthy and so, so easy makes it even better!! You can always find this delish soup in my freezer for last minute weekday lunches.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2” pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large apples (peeled, cored and quartered)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Sea salt to taste
- Greek yogurt to top
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add squash, apples, 2 cups stock, milk, coconut milk and nutmeg. Cover, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until squash is soft.
- For baby 6 months+: At this point remove ½ cup squash and apple pieces, draining liquid from the cup. Puree with 3 Tbsp water in mini processor until smooth. Add more water for thinner consistency. Serve.
- For baby 8 months+: Continuing from step #1, puree soup with a handheld blender until thick and chunky/smooth. Remove ½ cup, cool and serve.
- For the rest of the family: Continue from step #3, add remaining 2 cups vegetable stock and puree with handheld blender until smooth and creamy, heat through. Remove from heat, cool, season with salt, top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and serve
Posted on March 05, 2012 | Filed under: Recipe
I've heard of so many parents who struggle with mealtimes. But if it tastes good, she's going to want to eat it.
Amery and baby Kennedy