This is a straight-forward version of your mom’s classic pea soup recipe with comforting flavors that will warm you up inside and out! You can modify for baby as you go, so the whole family will enjoy this meal!
Total prep and cook time: 30 minutes
- 2-16 ounce packages frozen petite peas, divided (do not thaw)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups shallots, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (more if desired)
- 3 Tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- Plain Greek yogurt for serving
- Small fresh pea sprouts, optional
- Salt & Pepper to season
1. Place 1 cup peas in a microwave-safe bowl, warm in the microwave for 1 minute, then set aside
2. Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallots until golden, about 7 minutes. Add remaining peas, 3 cups broth and 2 Tbsp tarragon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, gently boiling until peas are tender, about 7 minutes. Cool slightly.
3. Working in batches, purée soup in blender or food processor until smooth. Return soup to same saucepan.
Remove ¼ cup of puréed soup, cool and serve.
Remove ½ cup of puréed soup, stir in a few of the remaining whole peas and 1 teaspoon of Greek yogurt. Cool and serve.
Stir in remaining 1 cup of broth to soup, adding more by ¼ cupfuls if thinner consistency is desired. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle with yogurt and sprinkle with whole peas and top with pea shoots
Posted on April 24, 2012 | Filed under: Recipe
He just will not eat jarred organic baby food—he spits it out and makes a face.
Yvette and baby Kael