There is nothing quite like a warm bowl of soup on a rainy spring afternoon. Treat yourself and your family to this healthy, savory cream of asparagus soup that is sure to brighten up even the cloudiest day!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4- 6
- 2 bunches asparagus, chopped 2” pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 leeks, white part only chopped
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt and cayenne (optional)
1. Prep asparagus by snapping off the tough ends at the natural breaking point, discard. Wash remaining, chop and set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, sauté garlic and leeks in olive oil until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus, oats, milk, dill and enough water to just cover the asparagus. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat and cover and simmer until asparagus is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly
3. Puree soup in the blender, food processor or with a handheld blender until smooth.
4. For baby 6 months+: Remove ¼ cup mixture and puree in the mini processor with 1 Tbsp rice or oatmeal baby cereal to create a smooth texture. Serve.
5. For kids: Serve soup topped with Grilled Cheese croutons. Make your child’s favorite grilled cheese, cut into 1” cubes and top soup before serving. They love to fish the croutons out!
6. For the rest of the family: Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and perhaps a touch of cayenne.
Posted on April 13, 2012 | Filed under: Recipe
Most baby foods taste really gross. Baby Gourmet tastes delicious.
Enya and baby London