I was trying to develop a treat for my son’s school Christmas celebration that could fit within the school allergy restrictions. Because allergies are so prominent these days, I wanted something for “almost” anyone. So here it is…the most delicious dairy, egg and nut free cookie EVER!! And if that is not exciting enough…it contains GREENS!!! Chewy brownie on the inside and crisp powdered sugar on the outside…this recipe is a must!!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Chill time: 2 hours
Bake time: 8 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 38 minutes
Makes 4 dozen
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 pouches Baby Gourmet Juicy Pear & Garden Greens baby food
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar, cocoa powder, Baby Gourmet, oil and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt
- Gradually add flour mixture to cocoa mixture in 3 parts, mixing each addition well for a soft, wet batter.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. It must be well chilled to roll, so don’t skip this step.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough and roll between your hands to make 1 ½ inch ball formations. Roll them in icing sugar until well coated (the more sugar the better the final effect!). Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes but be sure to check at 8. They should be puffed and set to create a soft, brownie like texture.
- Cool completely on rack, store in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze.
Tip: This recipe is great to do with your kids! They love rolling the balls and covering with sugar!
Posted on December 06, 2011 | Filed under: Recipe
Most baby foods taste really gross. Baby Gourmet tastes delicious.
Enya and baby London