Cheese and broccoli...it's a match made in heaven! This is a wonderful, hearty pasta dish that covers all your foods groups and proves that even kids can love broccoli.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound whole-wheat pasta shells
- 4 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- ¾ cups evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup cubed, cooked, uncured ham
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. On a large baking sheet, add broccoli and oil, toss to coat. Transfer to oven and roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside, reducing heat to 350F.
3. Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine carrots, milk and ½ cup water. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until carrots soften. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a food processor. Add cheese and puree until smooth. Set aside.
5. For BABY 6 months+: remove ¼ cup roasted broccoli and puree in mini processor with 2 tbsp water until smooth. Cool and serve.
6. In an 8x10 baking dish combine broccoli, pasta, ham and cheese sauce. Spread mixture in an even layer and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes until top is browned and bubbly . . .
7. For BABY 8-10 months+: Remove ½ cup baked pasta (excluding ham cubes- these can be too tough) and pulse in the mini processor 5-15 times, with 3 tbsp milk until desired chunky consistency is reached. Cool and Serve.
8. For the rest of the FAMILY: Season with salt, pepper and crushed red peppers as desired. Serve.
Posted on May 31, 2012 | Filed under: Recipe
He just will not eat jarred organic baby food—he spits it out and makes a face.
Yvette and baby Kael